March 21, 2008

Layering Fragrances - An Accidental Experiment

I had received an official spray sample of Cedre by Serge Lutens. It is an excellent scent and it's a very heavy EdP. It's heaviness is much like the other Serge Lutens perfume I have tried, Ambre Sultan. Not sure if this is the signature style of Serge Lutens himself. The only personal account on his part that I've read is from The Emperor of Scent and from that he's very stuck up on high end things but he doesn't like getting attention called to it. (Serge has a red-marble toilet seat, very expensive and when Luca Turnin commented about it Serge's scoffed response was, "Bah, oui...".)

Last evening I was enjoying the Cedre very much so. I had to restrain myself from ordering a bottle or even another small sample of the stuff. My budget's tight already and I have hundreds of other samples to sift through. This stuff is gooood. Would be really awesome had I had this for the cool bleak winter.

Couple of hours later it was time for bed. Usually I grab something soothing to put on with lavender. I'm not a very good sleeper, problems with getting to sleep but staying asleep I'm very good at! I can't remember why but I grabbed my mini of Obsession and sprayed it without thinking. Nothing's calming about that fragrance , I thought. Oh wait I had Cedre on already! Ooops, wait a minute what's that lovely smell? Actually, what are those lovely smells.

Obession (Calvin Klein if you've been living under a rock) and Cedre go together like rum and coke. Both are good separately but when mixed together you get something even more pleasant. I had only sprayed a little bit of Cedre (the rum) and a fair amount of Obession (coke). Hey, it worked, by accident. Sadly, I no longer have anymore Cedre to try this again though maybe in my travels I'll have another opportunity.

3 comments:

Perfumeshrine said...

Obsession and Cedre sound like a good match! Will they have illicit children I wonder? ;-)

AromaX said...

Sounds nice to try for me.
Well - I shall wear it today, cause I like them both and I like to experiment.

Wendy said...

Wow, that combo makes perfect sense. Wish I still had some Obsession to try it.

Love the blog.
- Sakecat (Wendy)