June 30, 2008

Parfums Raffy

The kind folks at Parfums Raffy offered free samples of their fragrances. Eager to try new things especially when the words FREE pop up, I immediately emailed them and requested them. They immediately responded and said they'll send me samples of two of their fragrances for men: Dragon and Mogul.

I have posted my initial reaction in a Basenotes thread but I will copy them here.

My initial responses to new fragrances are ones of reminders or other things I've smelled. I haven't given them a full wearing yet but here're my first thoughts:

Dragon: soapy herbal lemon, there's ylang-ylang in this I know it but it seems soapy. Doesn't remind me readily to any scents I've smelled. I think it's distinctive enough to warrant praise.

Mogul: spicy woody leather, like a combination of Fahrenheit's leathery sweetness subdued by Lucky Number 6's overt spiciness. I like Lucky Number Six but the problem with it is its longevity and sillage. I hope Mogul lasts a good while on me. Seems promising.

I will be wearing Dragon tomorrow and subsequently Mogul the enxt day unless I happen to really like Dragon or am too confused by it and would have to wear it a second day. At $78 for 100ml, these look very tempting but i've been eying up Ormonde Jayne's Man and Isfarkand.

Right now, I only have the budget for one new fragrance for the month of July so I will have to be careful. I would like to get something I will like as well as others for decanting. At the moment Isfarkand is in the lead, with some Creeds behind (still testing) and now Raffy's offerings racing up a close third. Familiarity would be a better choice so a Creed fragrance just might win (I wore Royal Water today and I loved it).

No comments: