June 29, 2008

Understanding My Obsession

I had recently had some friends over to my place whom haven't been by in a few months. One of them I had... well, warned about my new hobby. I don't know why but I feel a kind of oddness with this hobby. I'm not shy about it, I'm just really unsure how people would take it.

Another of my friends that came by had openly rejected the idea of spending over $120 on a bottle of cologne. That was back in February when I had visited SAK's 5th Ave for the first time and I bought a bottle of Creed's Original Santal which was my favorite of the four fragrances the SA suggested.

The friend I had "warned" simply said, "Eh, it's something to do." He's a cool guy and he understand the collector's mindset. He has a stack of video games that reaches his ceiling! Honestly at first I thought he was wasting his money but now I realize if it's something you like doing, it's a great distraction from the world. He doesn't livein a fantasy and he knows what the world is like and he never let's the fantasy of video games ruin his view on the world.

The other friend who happened to be with me at SAK's saw my perfume collection just looked and shrugged his shoulders and we all proceeded to go our usual hanging out routine of browsing the Internet and playing video games. Now that I think about it, it was a relief that nothing else was said. It was like, "There it is, I have a collection of perfumes. " The End.

I suppose I just needed some... real world acceptance.

No comments: